Thursday, July 12, 2012

Worth It

We roamed far and wide across the beautiful city of Asheville, NC in search of the infamous Ashville Pizza and Brewing Company.  At finally seeing its weather-worn sign our little beary hearts lept in our chests as we imagined the succulent nectars which would imminently touch our tongues.  We had been to one of their locations already but were turned away because their brewery was actually at their original location on Merrimon Ave, and bears only drink from the freshest streams (plus they lacked the jalapeno ale that I was really looking for).  Yet now, sitting under their canopy, watching puppies play, enjoying the laughter of people drinking and being merry, we knew that our efforts would soon be repaid.

Our wonderfully engaging waiter, not put off by our rough exteriors,  was mightily helpful in our selections.  "Jalapeno?" I murmured.
"Fire Escape Ale", he replied.  My growl confirmed the transaction and soon I had a cold, spicy beer sitting in front of me.  One sip and I proposed.  My favorite beer to date.  My heart aches when I think about it being all the way in North Carolina, but distance theoretically make the heart grow fonder and so, I wait.  Wait til the day when I can bring Fire Escape Ale to my lips once again.  It is a clean beer with strong flavors of real jalapeno.  Perfect for a summer afternoon and a bacon, bleu cheese salad.

At this time, Bipolar Bear had been wandering around searching for an individual from whom to buy a cigarette.  When he returned with a menthol the waiter came and took his order.  There were many beers to chose from and after we were told that they only brew their scout stout in the winter, he was at a loss of what to order.  But, then he spotted the Shiva IPA.  Pointing a clawy paw, the waiter nodded and brought out what would be a game changing IPA.  The Asheville Brewing Co. website claims that "Shiva will destroy all your preconceptions of an IPA", and its true.  It is the essential IPA.  Light citrus flavor without being sour, bitter but still clean, and pleasantly hopsy without being overwhelming.

These two brew took the cake, the title, and maybe even the kitchen sink.  But, I wouldn't count the chickens before hatch in this brewery just yet.  The East v. West, Clash of the Porters is up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment