Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beary Classy

This post used to have some wonderful imagery and pleasant lyricism, but it has all unfortunately been lost due to my ineptitude with the internet.  I am especially sorry about how this now affect the light which I wanted to shine on McCoy's Public House in Kansas City, MO.  It is a very classy place with good drinks, pizza, art, and, a very important concern for broke bears, prices.  Bear welcome, to a shining star of relief amidst the midday sun of the south.

The bartender was helpful as BPB order his usual of a local IPA and I tried my tongue at something new, but which sounded refreshing, a ginger shandy.


Ginger Shandy left, Newcomb IPA right

The IPA was light tasting without too much of the hoppy or bitter tastes which generally accompany this style of beer.  I declared it enjoyable and easy on the tongue.

Now the shandy.  Oh, what a shandy.  Or, what is a shandy?  According to Wikipedia "a shandy, or shandygaff, is beer mixed with citrus-flavored soda, carbonated lemonade, ginger beer, ginger ale, or cider. The proportions of the two ingredients are adjusted to taste, normally half-and-half. There are also non-alcoholic shandies known as 'rock shandies'".  This is not the definition I was expecting, although after having the Ginger Shandy from McCoy's, I'm not surprised.  I had just assumed that a Shandy was a type of beer in and of itself, from how I'd seen it presented in stores and even on this bar's menu.  Although I suppose I didn't look too closely, I don't remember any indicators that a shady was not just another style of beer.  But, now I know and my notes from this occasion make a bit more sense.

Straight from the notebook:  The Ginger Shandy of McCoy's, very good.  Made with ginger and lemonade.  Tastes like light, watery, carbonated lemonade.  A dangerously deceptive drink; if it had been handed to me without a back story I would probably never have guessed that it was beer.  Delicious all the same.

Overall, McCoy's was a wonderful place to relax, grab a pint, and enjoy a decent slice of pizza.




No comments:

Post a Comment