Thursday, November 8, 2012

Blogging Hibearnation

Hello friends,

   It's been awhile, I know.  But, if you can sympathize with a 12hr a day work schedule, then you can see why it has been some time since I've been able to tickle your imaginations with wondrous and strange sugar-plumed beers from the great northwest and beyond.  But now, side-saddling this lounge chair with Nobbit purring dutifully by my side I gaze at my computer screen, gripped by that odd mixture of apprehension and opportunity doing cartwheels in my ribcage, I must decide between the tale of the beer which was my old friend from closer-to-home, or which was a bit of home from afar...
   We'll start with what was the norm, from the supermarket to my hotel room.

Shock Top Belgian Wheat from Fort Collins, CO

   It was a hot day in September, 2012.  I had been thrown into a culture that I thought only existed in politically-incorrect 80's sitcoms and I desired beer to assist my mental juices as I contemplated my new environment.  Gazing at the beer wall of the local supermarket I was barraged by dozens of new names and images, some cute, some creepy, some mildly intriguing, but none enough so to get me to pay for a 6 pack I may passionately dis-like, so I stayed safe.  "It" beer Shock Top Belgian Wheat came to my aid and hand-in-hand we left the store.

Widmer on tap, TO THE EXTREME! XD
   Other than Widmer, which is right from my backyard, Shock Top was the only beer available that came fairly close to home (or at least wasn't bible-belt brewed).  The thing about Widmer is that, it's just sooo much better on tap.  With the comparison in the back of my head, it's almost difficult to enjoy it from a bottle, so, as a result, no Widmer passed these lips while I was away.  This sudden realization almost makes me feel like a traitor... But maybe this will help.  I encourage all folks who have a Widmer tap easily available to go now and enjoy their refreshing array of ales.  Now, back to Shock Top.

It even does windows
   It felt like a teensy bit of home as I endured oppressive humidity and startling stereotypes played out before mine eyes.  The Shock Top Belgian Ale plays its role perfectly whether its a victory drink at the top of South Sister (it was there with me and my fellow bears as we managed that "moderate" mountain-climbing adventure), or quenching the thirst of an over-heating bear on a patio overlooking North Carolina.  Shock Top Belgian Ale is crisp with light fruity tones, notes of clove, and a clean finish.  Great for someone who wants something better than the usual bottom-barrel brands, but don't want something as intense or hoppy as Ninkasi or Rouge.

   So, when your on an adventure or just generally wanting something more enticing than a Pabst, Shock Top is a safe base beer for your beery repertoire.
This just happens to be awesome and I would totally drive this car everywhere


No comments:

Post a Comment