Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Seasonally Deschutes and Ninkasi

   Tis the season, for mildly disappointing beer...

   I'm sorry, that probably doesn't want to make you want to read on, but for me, we I see those awkward seasonal puns, yet lovely illustrations along the beer aisle I just become slightly deflated, because they tend to involve many of the same things... many which I, personally, do not appreciate.

   It's all about the spices.  Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, coriander, ginger, cloves; all the lovely things you might find in a homemade pumpkin pie... unfortunately -and, granted, I have heard the exact opposite about the same beers- they do not go well, or at least should be used with great caution in beer.  It's just preference, but I, in my current beer-state (beer-state: the opinion of beer currently held, although it consistently grows and shifts between preferences) do not think that these spices in beer should be the forefront of the beer itself.  Just like in any other food, spices are there to enhance food, not over-shadow it completely.  So, this season, I generally try old classics or hang on old favorites, although I might sample a seasonal or two...
I borrowed these images

   Deschutes Brewery, Jubelale
Difficult to pronounce, enjoyed by many.  My comentary when trying this seasonal from one of my favorite breweries was: cloves, light orange citrus,.. what's in eggnog?
   I don't know if this is helpful, but its all I can offer during these dark days and heavy beers.

Moving on!
from the Google
   Ninkasi, Sleigh'r
Ninkasi, known for their attraction by hop-heads abouning.  I'm sorry, but again, I can't hardly help.  It has the hops, but then it has the season.  If thats what you want, an over-whelming array of spice on your hop-sentric palate, then by all means, enjoy... the end.

I am generally not a SAD Nancy, evening in the dreary Northwest.  I actually love the grey and rain that saturates Portland, luckily, but I am not for these overwhelmingly gritty and spiceful beers.  Some people live then though.  I have met several people who believe this is the best season of beer.  I'm a lemony summer kind of fit generally.  If I want something heavy I go for a classic porter or stout, of which there are many great ones available all year round.  So, what can you do.  Its just opinion vs opinion, palate vs palate.

So... nothing to recommend but maybe trying the seasonal stock for yourself.  Let me know what you think in the comments below!  I'm intrigued by what other's taste ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment